Monday, November 21, 2011

Don't get your hopes up

I apologize to all of my faithful readers out there!  The last couple weeks have been a whirlwind.

A few weeks ago I had a meeting with the instructional coach at my school.  I wanted his feedback on whether I was doing what a paraprofessional "should" be doing.  I needed to know that I was doing what I was supposed to without overstepping my boundaries and stepping on my lead teacher's toes.  I was really worried about that.  While she knows how much I want to be a lead teacher, she deserves to run her classroom the way she wants - without me taking over.  By the end of the meeting, I felt very reassured and confident that the administration could see how strong of an influence I am in the classroom.

The next day, Zeke (instructional coach) mentioned to me that there was a lead 3-year-old teacher position open and suggested that I apply.  I did.  I found out the next weekend that I had an interview.  I tried to keep it on the down-low from my colleagues because I didn't want to get my hopes up or have it spread around the school (partially because I didn't want my potential competition to know about the opening - not very nice of me, I know).  My interview went really well, according to my principal.  I did not get the position - it went to another para at the school (who I am sure will do an incredible job - I'm glad he's the one who beat me out for that position).

Since that interview, I have tried to take a step back in the classroom.  I try not to take control outside of the times when it is "acceptable".  I have been doing lots of things that Kelsey doesn't tell me to do.  I added colored water to the sensory table (spray it on foam peanuts!); I am working with the students on writing their names; and I made a turkey centerpiece with all the kids for Thanksgiving (thanks pinterest!).  Slowly but surely I am finding my niche in the classroom.


I used solid colored paint chips and actually cut them into "feathers".  The kids loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment