Sunday, March 4, 2012

GRE = brain mush

Over the past couple weeks, I have been studying for the GRE.  I've really hit the books/computer in the last week trying to learn new, big words (of course, right now, I can't think of any of those fancy new words to use to describe the type of words I'm learning...did that make any sense?).  I've also done math.  A lot of math.  The kind of math that I haven't done since high school since most of my college level math was elementary-focused.  The kind of math that, ironically, I was wanting to do just a few weeks ago. (What can I say...sometimes I want to do calculations that aren't "How many cubes do I have?" "What is one more than 8?" "Which one is longer?")

Thankfully, several words and math formulas that I learned in my high school PSAT prep class are coming back, slowly but surely. (Thank Ms. Shivers, Ms. Reed, and Ms. Daniels!)  However, there's still a lot to do, and I take the test in less than a week.

Besides studying for the GRE and doing taxes (blech!), I've been focusing on trying to be more positive about work. I have struggled all year with being a paraprofessional and dealing with the fact that it's not "my" classroom, at least not in the sense that I had planned on for the past 4 years.

Oh, yeah, I picked up a sporadic after-school job.  Tuesday-Thursday, the 5 elementary schools in Decatur have a 1-hour tutoring session for each grade.  The tutors are hired through the City of Decatur. I am a sub for the tutors.  My first time subbing was last Wednesday, and the tutor coordinator at that particular school asked if I would come every Wednesday and tutor the kindergarteners because their regular tutor couldn't do Wednesdays.  Of course I said YES! (Heck, that would pay for my gas to/from work for almost 2 days!)

I am sticking my feet through every possible door I can, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  In the meantime, I continue hoping and praying for a lead teaching position next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment