Monday, June 25, 2012

Two Southern Folks Go North of the Mason-Dixon

Last Tuesday Davis got a call from his boss - boss (the one out in California) about two recirculation units that had been ordered a few weeks ago; the lady who purchased them needed them "yesterday". (Here are the Recirculation Units in case you've got a couple thousand dollars just laying around...) Wednesday morning, Davis called me (woke me up) and asked me if I wanted to go to New York. Groggily I mumbled something about What? When? Why? Are we flying? He said that we'd be leaving the next morning (Thursday) and delivering the units Friday morning in Southampton. "Sure, why not!" was my answer (Ahh...the benefits of teaching and having the summers off!). Davis told me to go back to sleep and that he'd let me know when he was positive that he would be making the trip. Yeah right. Like I was going back to sleep after THAT news.

Around 4:00 that afternoon, I was in the middle of sitting at Meineke waiting for Davis's oil to be changed in his truck when he called to let me know that we were going to New York.  It turns out that Ms. Goldstein (the woman who purchased the units) was more willing to pay $1500 to have Davis deliver them to her horticulturist than $3000 to ship them overnight. By the way, I should mention that she wanted these units to have at the party where she was showing off her house. (In case you're counting, that's $3400 for the units, $1500 for delivery by Davis, and probably $300 more for the plants/horticulturist for a grand total around $5200.)

We left bright and early Thursday morning - on the road by 6:45am. We drove through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York before stopping for the night at 10:45pm; We still had another 45 minutes to drive on Friday morning into Southampton. Dinner consisted of some Lean Pockets from the hotel "market". (If you think Lean Pockets are pretty much like Hot Pockets, you'd be right except for the complete lack of taste in Lean Pockets.)  Before bed I did some research on seeing a Broadway play Friday afternoon on our way out of town. However, I quickly determined that nearly $200 for a Friday night show just wasn't in the time or money budget.  I told Davis that I'd settle for a Broadway show that comes to Atlanta.

Friday morning we were up bright and early again, and we reached the horticulturist's by 7:45am.  The drop-off went smoothly, and Steve (the horticulturist) recommended The Golden Pear on Southampton's Main Street for breakfast.  Davis and I both opted for the Cinnamon Infused Belgian Waffle.  We were sitting outside at a table waiting for breakfast (which took quite a long time considering we ordered 2 waffles) when the Manager walks out the door and directly over to us. The conversation went a bit like this:

Manager: Are you eating breakfast here?
Us: Yes, Sir.
Manager: Have you ordered?
Us: Yes, Sir.
Manager walks off.


In case you can't tell, that was the Manager hustling us for our seats because we didn't look like we belonged there. I considered telling him to please refund our $29 and we would be happy to find some other place to eat, but I held my tongue like a good Southern lady.  By the way, the waffle was the densest, blandest, most expensive waffle I've ever eaten; the fruit on top wasn't so great either. After many disdainful glances from the others at the cafe who could tell we didn't belong, we decided to drive around and see "The Estates" in Southampton. These "Estates" consisted of decent houses surrounded by hedges; So, basically, we saw a bunch of hedges. Pretty hedges, but only hedges nonetheless.  We finally give up on the Hamptons, and decide to head to Coney Island...the tale of while you will have to read my next post for!

Hedges in the Hamptons

No comments:

Post a Comment