Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Crazy, Beautiful Life

It seems like these posts are getting fewer and far between - life has been ridiculously crazy recently. There are several reasons for that including: my job, grad school, Ellis, Davis working nights, and being in the process of buying a house.

Thankfully, grad school is almost over, and I am so ready. Just a couple more weeks in this semester and one more class this summer. Also, a portfolio, and then I'm done! Figuring out how to juggle everything in my life with Davis working nights has been difficult; I'm grateful that my professor is totally okay with Ellis joining me in class every now and then. (He even gets to walk around with her and help check classwork sometimes!)

I'm also ready for this school year to be over. It has been a challenging year courtesy of a crazy first semester; it has been increasingly difficult to manage behavior as a result. I don't feel like I've done the best I could, and I'm ready for a fresh start.

To make things even more hectic, we've been in the process of looking for and buying a house. Our current lease is up on May 24, so we ended up in a bit of a time crunch. Luckily we (I) found a house that I fell in love with. Davis hadn't even seen it when we put an offer in (and thankfully he likes it too)! It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom in Lilburn, GA. The kitchen is about twice as large as our current one and has an eat-in dining room. There is also a formal dining room between the living room and kitchen that I anticipate using as a playroom (also for our ginormous fish tank). There's a large shed in the backyard that will be perfect for storing tools and lawn equipment. We even have an attic! My favorite part about the house (besides the fact that it will be ours) is the windows - there are tons of windows, so plenty of natural light. There are even a couple stained glass windows.

It's hard to believe that our sweet little boy is already 6 months old! (I know he's the real reason you read my posts!) He is getting so big and developing quite the little personality. In general he has a happy, pleasant temperament; but if you make him mad, he's quick to let you know. For the most part, he's happy if he has a clean diaper, full belly, and enough rest.

I think I've finally figured out how to get him to nap at home. As soon as he starts showing signs that he's tired (i.e. rubbing his eyes and hollering for no other apparent reason), I lay him down on his belly and either pat his behind, rub his back, or give him a gentle, rocking shake. It usually only takes a few minutes for him to stop being furious that he's on his belly and fall asleep.

We've been trying lots of food with him, and he loves it! Carrots, green beans, bananas, blueberries, kiwi, butternut squash, pears, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, peas, plums, peaches. We're going to try cucumber and grapes later this week. If we get the ok from his doctor on Friday, we'll start trying some meat!

Ellis loves "standing", taking baths, exploring new places, and banging objects together. Our house has gotten a lot noisier in the past couple weeks! He is starting to "talk" a lot more and make more varied sounds (including a "mama" sound). When he wants to be picked up, he'll reach out for you and grab onto your shirt. He is constantly chewing on things. There are no signs that a tooth is coming through any time soon, but he's sure working on it.

Well, Ellis is demanding my attention, so I think we're going to go take a walk in the park!

1 comment: