Saturday, July 28, 2012

Olympics Opening Ceremony

I have to say that the Olympics Opening Ceremony was fairly dreadful and underwhelming. Granted, I missed the first 45 minutes, but unless something spectacular happened, I don't feel like I lost any of the ... whatever it is they were going for. I did watch the next hour or so, but was so bored that I decided to record the rest and go to bed. This morning I watched the rest while working on purchase orders for my classroom.

Here are my thoughts on the following topics:

The Queen
Bored much? While the James Bond scene was creative, Her Majesty looked like she was bored half to death. I don't think I saw her smile at all; where's all that spunk that the NBC commentators said she had? And then there was the frowny, bland, single sentence statement declaring the Olympics open. Yawn.

The NBC Commentators
Unimpressive. And apparently, they skipped tributes to the Israeli victims and the 7/7 victims to show a dull interview with Michael Phelps. Hopefully NBC won't botch the rest of the Olympic coverage.

The American Uniforms
What are we, French? Berets. Scarves that look like the French flag. Is this the best the U.S. could come up with?

The Lighting of the Torch
By far the best part of the Opening Ceremony. I loved the "passing it on to the next generation" and the way they passed the torch among themselves. And, while I was clueless as to what the big horn-looking things being carried in were, the copper "leaves" being raised into the cauldron was pretty spectacular. It's rather unfortunate that that was followed a poor rendition of "Hey Jude".

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! Meredith & Matt kept saying how spunky and witty the Queen is while showing shots of her with a stone-cold stare! The first 45 minutes that you missed weren't all that great - there were some neat moments, such as the forging of the Thames (a river-esque thing that glowed) which led to a giant circle which then became one of the 5 Olympic circles. That part was neat. The whole National Health Care/Brit lit part was strange... but it was probably my favorite part! I obviously did not care for the American's outfits and was disappointed not so much with the performance of "Hey Jude" but the choice of "Hey Jude".... I don't really see how that is a great closing song to the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics... that's all I got for now!!

    ReplyDelete