Friday, August 17, 2012

3 Weeks with 3 Year Olds (Almost)


We are 2.5 weeks into school, and it has gone incredibly well! I am super pleased with my students, and I have great parents!

Here are some of the awesome things my 3 year olds can do already (most of the time):
Open their own milk carton
Walk in a quiet line
Remember to wash their hands before using the sensory table
Line up to go inside when they hear the bell
Clean up after centers

Okay, so these are things you would expect students to be able to do, but keep in mind that they’re 3, and we’re less than 3 weeks into school.

Zeke (instructional coach) has already observed me teaching 3 times, and that has gone very well. I've done something to impress him, so the goal is to continue doing so. It's reassuring to me that even after a year as a Para, I can still create lessons and teach :)

Last night was curriculum night, and I had 4 parents come (representing 3 different students). We got started just after 6:30 and didn’t leave until 7:50. The school was dark, and everything was shut down by then. I’m pretty sure we were the last cars in the parking lot. However, I actually enjoyed having that time to talk with these parents (being the nerd that I am). What really blew me away is that they asked me what I needed from them. How amazing is that?! One of the Dads is a tech person for another school that has just switched from PC to Macs, so he’s got a lot of supplies he’s looking to donate. We’re getting 5 netbooks with mice, and couple digital cameras, and maybe more. I’m SOO excited to be getting some technology in the classroom. So many blessings in the past 3 weeks!

Well, I'm going to lay on the couch and do nothing in an attempt to cure this gunky cold the children gave me over a week ago (hello back-to-school germs!). In my next post, I'm hoping to have some pictures of my classroom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment