Tuesday, August 21, 2012

How Grad School is Like Preschool

Yesterday, as I was driving home from the second meeting of one of my graduate classes, I was thinking about how grad school can be a lot like preschool, especially on the first day.  Here are some examples:

1: The "Here's what you need to know" packet
  • Preschool = Welcome packet that includes everything parents need to know for the time being 
  • Grad school = Syllabus, schedule, due dates, and assignments
2: Seating assignments
  • Preschool =Assigned seats on the carpet (using previous teachers' opinions about who to separate)
  • Grad school = Assigned seating groups for the semester
3: Set the tone
  • Preschool = Here are our rules, routines, and expectations for the class
  • Grad school = Here's how the class operates, so follow that code of conduct
4:  Discovery as opposed to "preaching"
  • Preschool = Set up activities so that the students discover different concepts on their own
  • Grad school = Provide hands-on activities so that the teachers can learn the same way their students do
That being said, I am really enjoying the one graduate class I have been to (I'll go to the other one on Thursday for the first time). It's nice being on the Griffin campus, because it's small and intimate. Student Affairs met me and one other student at my class an hour early to take our photo, order our Campus I.D.s, and do a quick orientation for us since we're both new. How wonderful is that? As much as I love The University of Alabama, I can't say that they would have gone out of their way to set up a special orientation time for just two new students.

As always, Roll Tide!
And now, Go Dogs! (Go Dawgs?) Hrm, have to check on that one...

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it's dawgs. :D
    I'm glad you're enjoying the first class, and I hope the other one is fun, too!

    ReplyDelete