Friday, July 8, 2011

Maybe I'll try this blogging thing for a bit

I was talking to my good friend Elizabeth the other day, detailing how horribly my first solo attempt at fried chicken went, and she told me I should start a blog.  Right.  Me.  A blog.  I have figured out over the past several years that I have difficulty keeping up with anything that doesn't have a specific end date.  In fact, I think I started a blog sometime last year, but I no longer remember the name of it or how to get back there.  Well, a few days have passed since that conversation, and I've been rolling the idea of starting a blog around in the back of my head.  And I decided, why not?  I've got some spare time on my hands (really, I have more spare time than I know what to do with) until my job starts in late August.

So, for my first post, I will simply give you a bit of info about me (in case you didn't already know).  I grew up in Madison, MS - a small town that I dearly love and miss at the moment.  In 2007 The University of Alabama called my name, and I gladly answered.  I spent the next four years in Tuscaloosa, AL majoring in Elementary Education.  I met some great people - friends, roommates, coworkers, bosses - while there.  I did a brief stint in Spring 2009 in Sicily where I met some more awesome people.  (For those of you who are wondering, Sicily is the island off the "toe" of Italy.)

In April 2011, a week before final exams and graduation, a tornado tore through Tuscaloosa, leaving the city devastated.  Exams were cancelled/postponed, and graduation ("commencement") was rescheduled for August 6, 2011.  I stayed through the end of school and helped Holt Elementary relocate to Lloyd Wood Middle School after their roof was destroyed by the tornado.  In a matter of days, every teacher's classroom had been moved and re-made in their new school home.  I also spent most of my last week helping at the Ferguson Center, since many of our student staff were dealing with more crucial issues or had returned home as The University had urged us to do.

By May 6, I was kicked out of the dorm and headed back to Madison to finish up wedding planning and packing.  The next month dragged by.  I celebrated my bachelorette party in New Orleans with fantastic friends.  Yes, karaoke was involved.  The wedding itself FINALLY arrived on June 10.  I could try to tell you how that went, but it was all such a blur.  Wednesday was fairly calm - Grandma and Alison came in then and had dinner with us.  Thursday, I had a pedicure with my bridesmaids in the morning.  By the time I made it back to the house, it was complete chaos, and it remained that way until sometime late Friday night/Saturday morning.

Davis and I spent our honeymoon in Blue Ridge, GA where we hiked to a waterfall, played putt putt in the woods, went kayaking, frequented a drive-in movie theater, and had the best pizza EVER.  A large pizza wouldn't even fit in the box.  Now we are back at home in Flowery Branch, GA.  Davis is working hard selling cars, and I am hardly working.  That is, I spent my days doing a few dishes, washing laundry every now and then, vacuuming, ironing, and cooking.  Also, I watch TV and read.

My goal for today... after I reheat some of my cheesy chicken and rice casserole for lunch... is to document valuables for our renters insurance and possibly pull out my sewing machine and see what kind of project I should start.

Congratulations if you made it through this post.  I suppose you didn't really want to read all that, but now you have most of the background info you need for any future posts to make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment