Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sewing!

Last summer my parents got me a sewing machine for my birthday.  My first project was an apron - something simple for me to get accustomed to using the machine.  My second project was one that my mom probably thought I was crazy for undertaking.  Instead of going for a simple skirt or pillow cover, I went for a dress that included a zipper, collar, and sash.  It turned out spectacularly, if I do say so myself.

Towards the end of the summer, my mother-in-law showed me patterns for dresses that their family would send to Nicaragua on their mission trip.  I volunteered to make the dresses under the delusion that I would have time to sew once I made it back to school, and Mrs. Linda bought the fabric for me.  I pulled out the sewing machine once last fall and sewed exactly one dress. The machine got put away for several months, being shifted from dorm to home to apartment.

The other day, as I was documenting our "valuables" for insurance purposes, I saw my sewing machine sitting wedged in the corner with all my other sewing stuff.  Then it hit me - I had promised to sew all these dresses and had failed to follow through on that promise.  So, my mission for the rest of the summer is to sew these dresses.  I should clarify that these dresses are for little girls, and they are a fairly simple pattern.  I have completed 3 with many more to go, so wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Go Robyn! What kind of machine do you have? Mine is a cheapo one from Walmart and it does okay, but I have trouble with the thread tension staying consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, it's a Singer Esteem II 2273. It's really easy to use. The only problem I've had so far is trying to wind my replacement bobbins. I think it just had to do with the way I held the thread as it was winding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see pictures if you are willing to post some sometime! and good luck! i think that is such a fantastic way to spend the rest of summer!

    ReplyDelete