Sunday, July 31, 2011

Muffins of Fire

What a week!

Tuesday, the City Schools of Decatur had a welcome back ceremony.  It was closer to a pep rally than a formal ceremony.  All the schools in the district were dressed up with glow sticks, clackers, and pompoms, and there was lots of cheering.  In short...it was the BEST back-to-school welcoming ceremony I've ever been to (nevermind that it was the only one I've been to...).  After the ceremony, Kelsey (the lead teacher in the classroom I'm working in) and I went back to CHECLC to see what we had in our classroom.  We worked on arranging it for a couple hours then decided we needed to sleep on it some now that we knew what furniture we had to work with.

Wednesday through Friday was spent working in the classroom.  Arranging furniture and centers. Taking inventory of books, the art cabinet, and the literacy/science cabinet.  Re-labeling baskets of science stuff.  Rearranging blocks. Playing dress-up.

Friday morning, the school was closed to all the children (the birth-3 years program is year-round), and we had a full staff breakfast.  After breakfast, Zeke decided that we all needed to have a "group experience".  So, he taught us how to "Wobble".  In case you're wondering what that is, here's a link...
Official video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE_64SdD27w&ob=av3e
How to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msxoXsnPljo
And, no, I cannot move my hips like that, so I looked ridiculous attempting to do this dance.

Today, Sunday, I decided to cook some muffins for breakfast while Davis got ready for work.  As I was pulling the tray out of the oven, I burned my fingers and dropped the tray.  Into the bottom of the oven.  Which was still on.  Two muffins hit the coils and went up in flames; so I slammed the oven shut and grabbed for the fire extinguisher under the sink.  Davis checked the oven again and, luckily, one muffin was no longer on fire.  Davis managed to blow out the other one.  We scraped enough unburned bits of muffin out of the bottom of the oven to have a semi-decent breakfast.  Now, I need to work on cleaning the rest of the oven, so it's Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment