Sunday, March 3, 2013

Baby May is the Size of an Olive!

So, I'm taking a page out of my friend, Katie's, previous blog posts. She recently had an adorable little girl, and I enjoyed the way she kept everyone updated about what was going on.

Katie, if you're reading this, thanks for the ideas!

Weeks: 9.5

Morning Sickness: I think I've finally got a handle on handling the morning sickness - at least most of the time! I usually get it right when I wake up, especially if my stomach is empty. This hunger-induced nausea is most easily solved by eating something light like a cereal bar. Other nausea that occurs can last either all day, or it pops up around dinner and lasts until bedtime. Ginger ale and peppermints usually help alleviate some of the symptoms.

Fatigue: I have been SOOO tired this past week. There have been several days when I use my 30 minute "break" to nap. Of course, right after my break is nap time for the kids, so I have to be careful NOT to sit down in the dark, quiet, lullaby-filled room; that leads to me napping along with the kids. I've needed to go to bed early pretty much every night, but that's impossible on Monday and Tuesday when I have grad school. On those days I usually nap in my car before I go into class.

Happy Foods: I've found that there are some foods that tend to agree with my stomach, especially when it comes to combatting nausea. Grilled chicken, goldfish, raspberry cereal bars, ginger ale, fruit-flavored popsicles, and deli sandwiches (the kind from Arby's or Lenny's). I've also been eating a lot of Crispy Rice cereal and rice-based dishes (like gumbo and stir fry).

Smells: On days when I've felt particularly sick, certain smells have nearly knocked me over. The smell of the grocery store when you first walk in, spaghetti being served in the cafeteria, and spending time in certain restaurants are some particular times when I've had to leave rather quickly.

Baby Bump: Not really at this point - just bit of a pudge that I'm pretty sure was forming before I got pregnant. However, my checklist on "Thebump.com" keeps telling me to take a belly picture. I have yet to take their advice.

Clothing: My pants are definitely getting tighter, as are certain shirts. The pants problem I've been able to solve by pushing them a little lower below my stomach, right on my hips. I'm having to wear slightly looser shirts, which are more comfortable anyway. I'm hoping that I'll be able to save some money on maternity clothes by wearing sundresses and loose summer clothing. It just needs to warm up first! Also, I just found a cute dress shop here in Norcross that has incredibly reasonably priced clothes that are nice and flowy (and you get 20% off on your birthday!)

Thankful: I am so thankful for everyone who has made this process as easy as possible (so far). In particular, my husband, who has done everything from massage my back to clean the house to stand in the freezing cold to get the cookie dough ice cream I wanted.
My graduate professor understood when I was too sick for class last Monday, and has already worked out me missing some classes in the fall when I have the Little One.
Also, my principal is working with me on making my doctor's appointments since I have to leave work around 2 to make it on time.
And I can't forget my Mama! She makes a great sounding board when I need to ask someone whether I can still eat deli meat without fearing contracting listeria or how to "fix" morning sickness!

We haven't had our first OB appointment yet, but that's set for March 12. I'll be at the end of 11 weeks, and we're hoping we can hear the heartbeat! I'm ready for a sonogram, because right now, all I can envision is a raspberry or olive or whatever food the baby is currently the size of - and what an image that is!


4 comments:

  1. You can get a belly band or something like it to wear, so you can leave your pants unbuttoned until you just can't squeeze your butt into them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still look pregnant. :)
    I like keeping up with your posts but my daughter thinks the whole pregnancy thing is "gross". She's keeping her distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading and I am so excited to be reading about BABY MAY!!!!! I wore a Bella Band - google it, get the Ingrid & Isabel brand. It's worth the $30 - I bought two and was able to stretch the majority of my jeans & shorts up until 6 or 7 months when I HAD to switch to maternity pants!!! Also, I took Zofran for morning sickness. I tried so hard not to take it, but my doctor assured (and reassured me) that it was safe. I usually took just 1/2 tablet in the morning and took more later in the day if I was still nauseated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily and Katie, I'm definitely planning on getting a Bella Band soon! Right now, the only way my jeans will stay "buttoned" is to loop a rubber band around the button, through the loop, and back to the button!

    Aunt Nanci, maybe you should remind Claire that the only way she exists is because you were once pregnant with her :)

    ReplyDelete