Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Scared

It would seem like "scared" would be an appropriate emotion right now, but I'm guessing most of you would pair that word with "having a baby". And you would be wrong, at least at the moment. Yes, I'm occasionally unsure and sometimes worried about the whole being a mom part, but in general I feel pretty okay about it.

Rather, what I am scared about is my search (once again) for a certified teaching position. It's the time of year when resumes are updated, jobs are posted, and applications are completed. It's the time of year when I must make a decision that will impact my future. Do I stay with City Schools of Decatur, or do I try other, much larger districts? Do I stay at College Heights where I know and love the staff, or do I strike out for another school? Do I stay with Pre-K where I'm comfortable, or do I venture into Elementary, my first love?

This year, the first question is easy - I will certainly be staying with CSD. This is a district that inspires me and makes me want to be the best teacher I can be. I've only been here two years, but I can honestly say that I feel right at home here.

As for the questions about whether to stay at College Heights and hopefully move into a certified Pre-K position, I can't answer yet. Yes, I would like to stay at College Heights; I know the staff, the routines, the expectations. But I also have to try for the other Elementary positions that have been posted in the district. (Because, let's face it, I can't keep making what I'm making! To put it in perspective, I could work 22 years as a preschool teacher and my salary still would not be as much as a first year pre-k - 12 teacher. On the bright side, I'll never complain about how much I make as a certified teacher!)

Although only time will tell, I am nervous about the next several weeks. I pray that I will be invited to interviews - Elementary and Pre-K! I pray that God will show me where I'm supposed to be. I pray that after this year, I can stop searching and finally find my classroom home.

3 comments:

  1. It often happens in a way you won't expect. That is, the answer to your prayers. Just be ready for when it happens. Or not. You are now on my Lenten "prayers for a day" list. Good luck in your search. And please, don't have this child call me a Great Aunt Nanci. Please find something fun for me. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Summertime is so much MORE stressful for us than the school year! Like you, I like the position I have, it's taught me a lot, and it's made special ed my new passion. HOWEVER, my current salary is HALF of what I'd make as a certified teacher. And sometimes money IS important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I know you're a spectacular teacher, and I know that you're going to get a certified position soon. Don't give up! Just think how much we'll both appreciate a certified salary after making half as much!

    ReplyDelete